Friday, March 13, 2009

Is Coffee Good For You?

I've been seriously limiting my coffee intake for the last three years. Why? Because caffeine makes me stay awake for days. If I drink coffee after 11am, I have trouble sleeping that night. Plus, research done five or six years ago showed some pretty serious health risks associated with drinking coffee (like fibrocystic breast disease).

Now that's all changed. It's after 11am as I type this.. and I'm enjoying a lovely cup of coffee! And, I plan to drink some more later. New findings have linked drinking coffe to a lowered risk of Parkinson's disease and Type 2 diabetes! It can even help with symptoms of depression!! I read in Prevention magazine that moderate coffee drinkers (2-3 cups a day) have a lowered risk of Alzheimer's Disease (and other types of dementia) compared to those that are heavy coffee drinkers or don't drink it at all. Prevention also told me that drinking coffee can help your memory and attention processes.

I'm not sure if these new findings hold true for decaf coffee, but my quick Google search said if you want to drink decaf, make sure the decaffeination process was done without any harsh chemicals. For now, I'll be drinking coffee in moderation. One (or two) cups a day is good for me!

-Cake

0 comments:

Post a Comment