Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's. Go Green & Get Lucky.

This morning I woke up a little confused. Being part Irish, and proud of it, normally St. Patrick's Day is a day I fully celebrate with joy. I wear green, whip out my four leaf clover jewelry, have a green bagel for breakfast, and wish everyone good luck on finding their pot of gold. 

But this morning felt just like any other day. This is because two Saturdays ago my friends and I spent the whole day decked out in green, drinking beer at the Hoboken St. Patty's Parade. Even though I got all Irish-ed out a few weekends ago, I realize I have to sack -up and get into the spirit. So here it is, my suggestions for how to get into the St. Patty's Day spirit (in no particular order):

1. Have a green bagel for breakfast. Or better yet, some Lucky Charms.


2. Make green beer. Drink green beer. According to DIY Life.com, to achieve a true green color it's best to mix blue food coloring with yellow beer. Green food coloring will work just as well too. Visit the site for more detailed instructions. 




3. Have Corned Beef and Cabbage. My mom used to make this every year for St. Pat's Day. I am a vegetarian so here is my version: Vegan Corned Beef and Cabbage (it tastes just as good and is better for you!)

4. Tell everyone to Kiss You because "You're Irish." Hey, kissing to lead to other lucky things. 

5. Go to an Irish Pub. If you're in New York City, the St. Patrick's Day parade is today, so any pub with an O', Mc', or St. is probably a good choice. Two I would recommend? Stout NYC on 33rd and Molly's Pub and Restaurant on 3rd Avenue. But the choices are endless. In Jersey, try Dubliner in Hoboken or McDonaugh's in Keyport. While you're there, test out an Irish Car Bomb or the Black Velvet



Really though - any pub with Guinness or Bailey's will do just fine. Cheers!

0 comments:

Post a Comment